Objective: Students will learn about Oregon Trail and Covered Wagons by building a covered wagon.
- Markers, crayons, and colored pencils
- Eden Hope Template for Covered Wagons
If you have the ability and time, watch this video with your students.
- Give your students their covered wagon printout, markers, crayons, and colored pencils.
- Ask student to color their wagon
- Distribute scissors. Be sure to point out which parts should be cut and those that would be folds.
- Ask students to cut out their wagons (please ignore the glue tongue here box)
- Fold on the fold lines and tape the wagons together. The lines go on the outside.
- Students will attach the wheels with the brads
- As the students are coloring their wagon, discuss the size of covered wagons and how much could realistically fit in one.
- Encourage your students to think of the items they would bring from Missouri to Oregon.
- How far is Oregon from where you live?